Volunteer your time
Since Newton Food Pantry has no paid staff, we rely 100% on volunteers. You can enjoy relaxed camaraderie as you help put food on your needy neighbors’ tables—and know that your contribution of time is truly meaningful. For volunteer opportunities and questions, please email: VolunteerCoordinator@newtonfoodpantry.org.
We welcome volunteers who can make reasonable commitments to any of the following:
- Wednesday mornings 9:30am–noon. Sort food, stock shelves, break down cardboard boxes, and receive donated food.
- Wednesday afternoons 1:15–3:30pm or 3:30–6pm. Guide our clients as they shop, restock our shelves, clean, and close up the pantry.
- Third Saturday of every month 8:45–10:45am or 10:30am-12:30pm. Stock shelves and help clients shop, then clean and close up.
- Monday mornings. Unload, move, and store food delivered from the Greater Boston Food Bank. Volunteers are needed for about one hour between 9am and noon (each week, we let you know several days ahead when that hour will be). Some heavy lifting required.
- Home deliveries to elderly and/or disabled Newton residents who cannot come to the pantry. One Wednesday morning each month between 9:30am-1:00pm, or on the 3rd Saturday between 9:30-11am, you’ll come to the pantry, select food for your delivery client, pack it in bags, drive it to their home, and unload.
- Summers. Some of our regular volunteers are away for portions of the summer. We rely on shorter-term volunteers to fill in on all shifts. A great fit for students and teachers!
Children are welcome to volunteer if they are 10 years or older. Parents are asked to accompany those who are 10–13 years old.
Would you like to volunteer? Download the application forms here:
Donate food, paper goods or toiletries
Even a bag or two is most appreciated and welcome. We accept all unopened, unexpired non-perishable food. In addition to canned and boxed foods, right now our clients especially need:
- Canned beets
- Soups and Broths
- Soy Sauce
- Ground Coffee
Because government food assistance (SNAP) covers food only, the residents we serve also urgently need:
- Laundry detergent
- Dish Soap
- Shampoo and Conditioner
(regular size, not travel)
- Toothpaste and Toothbrushes
- Feminine Hygiene Products (pads and tampons)
- All Purpose Household Cleaners
Due to health regulations, we cannot accept perishable or homemade food or any medications. Please check expiration dates on all foods that you are donating.
Download the list of currently most needed items you can donate.
Run a food drive
Motivate your school, workplace, church, temple, or other group to consider their neighbors in need. We can provide you with a list of items urgently needed at that time, information about hunger in Newton, a logo if you are preparing materials, and other guidance to make your drive a success.
Consider a themed drive such as:
- Happy Snacking. Juice boxes, applesauce cups, snack bars, pudding packs.
- Rise and Shine. Cereal, instant oatmeal, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, pancake mix, granola bars.
- Squeaky Clean. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste (full size please, not travel size).
- Or a single focus such as laundry detergent (50 oz. or less, please).
Download this helpful guide on how to how to organize your own food drive today.
Drop off donations
We accept smaller donation drop-offs anytime City Hall is open. Please leave your donation outside our basement door in the designated bins, and sign our Donation Sheet. Or you may drop off small donation amounts while the pantry is staffed:
- Wednesdays 9:30am–1:00 pm and 3:00pm–5:30pm.
- Third Saturday of the month 10am–noon.
To drop off larger donation amounts (i.e. 10 bags or more), or if you are dropping off donations from a drive you have conducted benefiting our pantry, please email us to coordinate a time to drop off donations when a volunteer can meet you.
Newton Food Pantry
1000 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton City Hall, Basement Level
Newton MA 02459
Enter the pantry from the Homer Street side of City Hall. Look for our sign! We are elevator-accessible.
Sponsor a fundraiser
The Newton Food Pantry relies 100% on financial support from generous individuals, businesses, religious organizations, schools, community and neighborhood groups, and charitable foundations.
We receive no direct funding from the city of Newton, state of Massachusetts, or the federal government.
While some of the food we give out is donated, much is purchased. Thanks to the Greater Boston Food Bank and generous partners in the food industry, we are able to purchase food at a discount. That means every $1 you contribute actually purchases several times more food for our hungry neighbors.
Successful fundraiser ideas:
- Workplace. Set aside a week when colleagues forego their latte, pastry, or purchased lunch and instead collect that money for the Newton Food Pantry.
- School and community. Organize a charity run, yard sale, concert, or car wash—anything where people participate to raise money for the Newton Food Pantry and the residents we serve.
- Holidays and birthdays. Ask friends and family to make a gift to the Newton Food Pantry in lieu of gifts.
Honor or Celebrate
A gift to the Newton Food Pantry is a meaningful way to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, holiday, or personal milestone. For any occasion, encourage your friends and family to forego presents and make this caring charitable gift instead.
Or to pay tribute to a friend or loved one who is gone. We’ll send a card announcing your gift to the person you designate. (No dollar amount will be shown.)
Make a financial gift
The best way you can put food on a hungry neighbor’s table is through a financial gift.
That’s because we purchase food at a discount—from the Greater Boston Food Bank and generous partners in the food industry. So every $1 you give actually goes even further.
Please click on yellow button at the rightbelow to give online, or make check payable and mail to:
Newton Food Pantry
1000 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02459
Your gift is tax deductible as allowed by law. The Newton Food Pantry’s Tax ID number is 04-3218895.
Thank you for your generosity.