Due to the Covid-19 crisis, the Newton Food Pantry is unable to accept in-kind food donations at this time. However, the need is greater than ever and there are still many ways you can help. More than ever, neighbors are relying on our pre-packaged bags of food and personal care products twice a month. We are grateful for your continued support. Here are some ways to help!
Make a Financial Donation
During the Covid-19 crisis, the best way you can put food on a hungry neighbor’s table is through a financial gift. Please click HERE to give online, or make check payable and mail to: Newton Food Pantry, 1000 Commonwealth Avenue, Newton, MA 02459
Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law. The Newton Food Pantry Tax ID number is 04-3218895.
Volunteer (MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER)
Volunteers are currently needed for the following positions. You MUST BE 18 years or older to be eligible for any of these positions. Please email the Volunteer Coordinator to confirm shift availability as some shifts may be full. All volunteers need to fill out an application and complete an onboarding process. We are not able to accommodate “walk in” volunteers.
- Monday AM Volunteer (75 minute shift): Working within a small team, volunteer in this role must be physically fit and able to lift and move 50 pound boxes and unload 6,000 pounds of food. Hours: 8:15am-9:30am or 11:00am-12:15pm
- Tuesday Pre-Bagging Volunteer (90 minute shift): Physically fit volunteers aged 18+ needed to bag groceries. Shift work requires ability to lift and carry 10-35 pound boxes and work in groups of two at a rapid pace to bag 60-100 bags per 90 minute shift. Work is done inside with masks on at all times. Hours: 9:15am-10:45am or 11:00am-12:30pm or 1:00pm-2:30pm.
- Wednesday AM Volunteer: Drivers needed to caravan to Newton housing facilities and make contactless deliveries. Volunteers must have their own car and be able to lift 30 pound bags. Hours: 9:45am-11:00am
- Wednesday PM Volunteer: Physically fit volunteers needed to help with client grocery distribution. Shift work requires ability to lift 10-50 pound boxes and bags repetitively while being outside in all weather conditions. Spanish, Portuguese or Russian speaking volunteers are an added bonus to us! Hours: 12:30pm-2:30pm or 2:30pm-4:30pm
- Saturday Kids Snack Bags Volunteer: The snack bags will be filled by a small number of volunteers on a Saturday morning, once a month, working in two shifts – Hours: 9-10:30 AM and 10:45-12:15 PM – in the Auditorium at the Newton City Hall. If you would like to volunteer to help with Kid’s Bags, please contact Marilyn Crone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If interested please email email@example.com
Decorate Kids Snack Bags
Guidelines for decorating Kids Snack Bags for the Newton Food Pantry
We greatly appreciate your interest in decorating Kid’s Bags for the Newton Food Pantry. Since there is so much joy in self-expression, it is our hope that you will consider the following important guidelines while working with your child(ren) on this project:
- White paper bags must be 8” x 4.75” x 10” with handles. These can be ordered on Amazon or purchased at Michael’s.
- All art must be non-secular and appropriate for all children in our diverse community. “Free art” is encouraged as are seasonal (winter, spring, etc.) themes, original patterns and designs. Please no representations of holidays.
- The use of drawing materials including markers, crayons, and colored pencils of different sizes, watercolor paints and a variety of stampers are encouraged.
- Children of all ages (Toddlers – School age) will be receiving the snack bags. Therefore, we CANNOT accept bags that have staples, tape, or any toxic materials (including glitter and glue) on the bags.
- Once the bags are completed, we ask that you refold the bags flat for ease of storage and delivery.
- All decorated bags should be dropped off at 72 Fuller St., Waban and placed in the plastic container on the front porch.
We hope that you and your child(ren) will let your creativity flow and that this bag decorating activity can be an enjoyable one for all.
Head HERE to learn more about participating in our Kids Bags efforts. Please contact Marilyn Crone at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We thank you for your interest in Kid’s Bags and are grateful for your support!
Support the Newton Community Freedge
Launching on March 14th, the Newton “Freedge” is an outdoor refrigerator and pantry, open 24/7 to anyone. This volunteer-led initiative, organized by the Newton Food Pantry in collaboration with other local organizations, joins a growing network of other Freedges in the Greater Boston area and throughout the country. Find out more about becoming a Freedge volunteer or donor HERE
Donate Fabric Face Masks
Our clients are in need of face masks for their health and everyone’s health. We plan to distribute a mask to every household we serve.
Consider donating cloth face masks that are individually packaged in a ziplock bag for distribution to our clients. Masks can be dropped off at 36 Metacomet Rd only.
Help us meet our goal of 400 fabric masks.
Make Homemade Cards for Our Clients
Looking for a fun, creative activity to do that will put a smile on the face of your Newton neighbors? Please consider making colorful, homemade cards with well wishes which will be put inside our clients’ grocery bags.
If you have any questions or wish to drop off cards, please reach out to Carol Berlin at: email@example.com
Send Us Products on Our Amazon Wish List
Visit our Amazon Wish List to buy items for our clients. Please have products mailed to Carol Berlin, at 52 Waldorf Road, Newton, MA 02464. Please include your name at check out so we can thank you for your generosity!
Shop at Amazon Smile
If you are ordering from Amazon, do so via Amazon Smile. Search for “Newton Food Pantry” under “Pick your own charitable organization” and Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to us.
Follow Us on Social Media
One of the biggest ways you can support our work and mission is to “Like” us on social media and share our posts. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to help spread the word about food insecurity in Newton. Sharing our posts allows us to increase the reach of our audience, and supply more food for Newton residents in need. You can also tag us on social media in any of the good deeds you do from the safety of your home!
Get Creative: Share Your Ideas or Skills (from home)
Do you have a creative idea or skill that you think can help the Newton Food Pantry during the Covid-19 crisis? If so, we’d love to hear from you, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.