We invite you to join us putting together Kid’s Bags!
Kid’s Bags will be distributed to every child in a family that shops on Wednesday afternoon at the Newton Food Pantry which is located at Newton City Hall. The bags will be filled with a variety of child-friendly snack foods and drinks meant to be enjoyed by kids between meals during the school week.
Each Kid’s Bag must include the following:
- 1 individual container of Chef Boyardee spaghetti, Mac & Cheese or similar pasta (2.5 – 5 oz serving size)
- 1 snack size fruit cup (oranges, peaches or mixed fruit)
- 1 fruit (apple sauce) or / & vegetable pouch
- 1 or 2 Quaker oatmeal packets
- 1 granola bar, any kind (NO peanuts or nuts)
- 1 small single serving boxed milk (white or chocolate)
- 1 Capri Sun (or similar) 100% juice box or packet
- 1 Keebler (or similar) snack size cracker pack
- 1 Popcorn, Pop Corners snack bag, Goldfish or Cheez-Its packet
In order to ensure that there are enough Kid’s Bags for our clients every week, each month, we ask that once you have decided to fill 30 (or more!) Kid’s Bags, please contact Marilyn Crone at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the number of bags you are filling and to make arrangements for drop off at the Newton Food Pantry. We typically plan two mornings, mid- month for drop off of filled bags.
Also, since children find so much joy in self-expression, it is our hope that the bags will be “decorated” for all to enjoy and that you will consider working with your child(ren), family members, neighbors, or groups on decorating Kid’s Bags!
The guidelines for decorating bags are the following:
- White paper bags must be 8” x 4.75” x 10” with handles. These can be ordered on Amazon (similar to here) or purchased at Michael’s (similar to here).
- All art must be non-secular and appropriate for all children in our diverse community. “Free art” is encouraged as are seasonal (winter, spring, etc.) themes, original patterns and designs. Please no representations of holidays.
- The use of drawing materials including markers, crayons, and colored pencils of different sizes, watercolor paints and a variety of stampers are encouraged.
- Children of all ages (Toddlers – School age) will be receiving the snack bags. Therefore, we CANNOT accept bags that have staples, tape, or any toxic materials (including glitter and glue) on the bags.
If you are interested in joining us in this effort, please contact Marilyn Crone at email@example.com for more information. We thank you for your interest in Kid’s Bags and are grateful for your support!